The following qualify as consumers:
- individuals or sole proprietors who have a customer relationship with a financial institution;
- persons who have a beneficial interest in the activity;
- a trustee or personal representative;
- an insured; or
- third parties who have third-party coverage under an insurance contract.
The following complaints cannot be brought before FIDReC:
- commercial decisions;
- pricing policies and other policies such as interest rates and fees;
- cases under investigation by any law enforcement agency;
- cases concerning principal agent issues;
- complaints that are more than 6 months after the financial institution's final reply;
- complaints that have been settled between the consumer and the financial institution; and
- cases that have been subjected to a court hearing and for which a court judgment or order has been passed.
Additionally, please also take note that FIDReC can dismiss a dispute without mediation in various situations, including where:
- it is in the opinion of the Case Manager frivolous or vexatious; or
- there are other compelling reasons why it is inappropriate for FIDReC to deal with the dispute.